Whether you’re a makeup expert or a novice just getting your grips with the stuff, we could all use a few handy tips for perfect eye makeup application. Below is the ultimate list of tips, tricks, and technique for nailing any eye makeup look you choose to take on.
1. Hold your eye makeup brush in the middle of the handle.
Holding your brush closer to the bristles will make your look too harsh, and holding it too close to the end will make it harder for you to control where you’re placing the shadow. Right in the middle is the best place to to hold
2. Apply a white eyeshadow onto your eyelid to make brighter eyeshadow colours pop.
The white eyeshadow base will make colours like pink, green, and orange more vibrant when applied over top.
3. Darker colours should be applied on the outer corner of the eye, while lighter colours should be applied to the inner corner.
As a general rule, if you want to make your eyes appear larger and more almond-shaped, you should apply darker colours to the outer corner of your eye and work backwards; applying lighter shades to the inner third of your eye, finishing with a highlighter next to your tear duct.
4. Don’t forget to apply eyeshadow to the area below your eye.
This is just as important for pulling together your look. Use whatever shade you used on your crease for this area.
5. Eyelash curlers make all the difference.
Invest in a good eyelash curler and your lashes will look amazing no matter what mascara you’re using. My favourite is the Kevyn Aucoin eyelash curler.